Canada-based mining company Lucky Minerals Inc. has requested a permit for a gold-mining operation on private land near Emigrant Peak in Montana’s Paradise Valley. The Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is conducting an Environmental Assessment (EA) of the proposal and has hired SmartComment to help manage the public comment period that will commence following the release of the draft EA.
What We Did
- Create a website for the proposal that allows citizens and other stakeholders to submit electronic comments on the EA
- Work with officials at the Montana DEQ to identify a list of common comment topics to help frame the most accurate understanding of the interests and concerns regarding the project
- Build a database to securely hold all public comments and attachments related to the Lucky Minerals proposal, whether submitted via the website or by email, written letter, or other format
- Set up a digital framework to help DEQ staff organize, chart and graph the comments according to their topics, ensuring the most accurate understanding of the issues surrounding the proposal
- Provide use of our SmartBracket™ tool, which allows DEQ staff to bracket submissions from the public into individual comments and assign a topic to them, allowing for the most accurate representation of the public opinions about the Lucky Minerals EA
- Partner with agency staff to provide no-cost support during the entire EA process, including support assistance, software upgrades, and additional training